Thursday, December 30, 2010

Lily flower danger to cats

All flowers of the Lilium species, including Stargazer, Easter, Tiger, & other Asiatic lilies, are extremely poisonous to cats. (Lilies are not toxic to dogs, & only self-limiting vomiting is expected if a dog ingests them.) Ingestion of just 1 or 2 leaves or petals is enough to cause sudden kidney failure. Even the po...llen from these flowers is toxic to cats. See a vet ASAP! Prognosis is good when treated early.!/pages/Mikes-Pet-Care/189572726193

Monday, December 20, 2010

North American Tick Paralysis

Tick paralysis is the only tick-borne disease that is not caused by an infectious organism. Tick paralysis results from inoculation of a toxin from tick salivary glands during a blood meal. The toxin causes symptoms within 2-7 days, beginning with weakness in both legs that progresses to paralysis. The paralysis ascends to the trunk, arms, and head within hours and may lead to respiratory failure and death. The two ticks most commonly associated with North American tick paralysis are the Rocky Mountain wood tick and the American dog tick. Treatment is simply removing the tick.!/pages/Mikes-Pet-Care/189572726193

Monday, December 6, 2010

Pet allergies

Did you know that people who are allergic to animals are often allergic to the saliva, dander (dead skin that is continually shed), or the urine. Saliva actually being the most common reason. Also there are no hypoallergenic dogs or cats.